Wednesday, October 8, 2014

No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

This time of year, I bake a lot of bread at work.  We have soup and bread two or three times a week for lunch, and I really like having the opportunity to make so much bread!





This is one of the top three most popular varieties (really top two...really top one).  I found it once upon a time when our mixer was broken and I was faced with making bread for 80 people by hand with my crushed and pitiful snowboarding wrist and brother-slammed-a-window-on-it-when-I-was-11 wrist.  The "no-knead" appealed to me.

I was very impressed by the slightly-chewy, fine-crumb texture of this bread that doesn't fall apart like a lot of whole wheat breads, and doesn't contain lots of sugar/honey and oil like the better-textured whole wheat breads usually do.




It slices thinly well, and keeps for several days in a sealed container or bag.



No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread
Makes 2 loaves

1 Tbsp. yeast
3 c. warm (not hot) water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. oil
2 1/2-3 c. all-purpose flour (I use white whole wheat)
3 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 Tbsp. salt
Raw sugar and kosher salt, for sprinkling

Combine the yeast, water, and sugar in a large bowl; let set for 5-10 minutes until the yeast starts to foam.  Add the vinegar, then the oil.  Then add the all-purpose flour. stirring well to combine after each cup.  Then add 1 c. whole wheat flour and the salt; stir well.  Stir in the remaining two cups of whole wheat flour and mix until everything is combined.  The dough will still be somewhat sticky.

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Grease (generously) two loaf pans.  Divide the dough into two loaf shapes and arrange in pans.  I find it easiest to grease my hands for this job.  Cut a few shallow slits across the top of the loaves, then sprinkle lightly with the raw sugar and kosher salt.




Bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes until crusty and golden (and 195-200 degrees inside if you want to go that route).

No comments:

Post a Comment