Friday, March 7, 2014

Two Salads and a Sandwich

I either need to stop cooking so often or start making blog posts more often.  I think the second one sounds better.  SOOOOOO far behind in my blurry phone food pictures.


I recently made a trip to the fruit and nut store and got a bunch of ingredients for granola (post/recipe coming soon) so that Zach can have granola and yogurt for breakfast again after a long, long drought.  I remembered my long-unvisited love for walnuts, bought some, and have been putting them in various salads, etc. lately.

The salad in this picture looks pretty much like just spinach; thankfully I remembered to write down what was in it so I wouldn't just be guessing.


 
 
Spinach salad with gala apple (a REALLY good one that I got from Sanfillipo Produce), chopped Calamata olives and capers, manager's special "Spicy Asian" chicken breast, diced avocado, raw walnuts, lemon juice, and kosher salt.
 
 
Another recent trip to Sanfillipo's got me 10 lbs. mushrooms, 8 lbs. strawberries, 5 avocados, 2 bunches green onions, 1.75 lbs. arugula, and 2 red bell peppers for $15.  And it just so happens that I had bought 2 lbs. mushrooms on manager's special at Kroger not twenty minutes before going to Sanfillipo's.  12 lbs. of mushrooms is a lot.
 
(This is only about 5-6 lbs of mushrooms)
 I had sautéed mushrooms and zucchini for lunch that day, sautéed, garlicky green beans and mushrooms in whole-wheat tortillas with hoisin sauce and Sriracha for dinner that night, sautéed mushrooms, green beans, asparagus, and yellow bell peppers (which I think might be the ultimate combo of sautéed vegetables) with dinner last night, and the following salad for lunch today:

 
 
 
I started by roasting some cauliflower (a manager's special, of course, from like two months ago...I'm glad cauliflower keeps so well!): two heads cut into flowerets, tossed in 1 tsp. canola oil, curry powder, smoked paprika, and 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, roasted on parchment paper at 400 degrees until they were browned as much as I wanted them to be (10-15 minutes?).
 
 
 
 
 
Meanwhile, I assembled the rest of the salad and medium-boiled an egg.
 
 
Arugula, spinach, corn (thawed), mushrooms, cucumber, onion.
 
I added the cauliflower and egg, dressed it with lemon juice and kosher salt, and ate it.....gooooooooooooooooood.
 
 
Last night for dinner, along with the brilliant sautéed vegetable medley, we had pork bocadillos (I say "bocadillo" instead of "sandwich," because they were inspired by the sandwiches made for us by last year's Spain team, and I say "pork" instead of whatever pork is in Spanish, because I don't know what pork is in Spanish off the top of my head).
 
 
 
A whole wheat bun, buttered and toasted.  On the bottom bun: mayonnaise, leaf lettuce, sweet pickled jalapenos, sliced tomatoes, and thinly sliced pork loin marinated in garlic, oregano, coriander, salt, red wine vinegar, and olive oil (then pan-fried).  Sometimes I add a fried egg.
 
 
 
On the top bun was more mayonnaise, sliced cucumber, mustard, and Sriracha.
 

 
 
Mmmmmmmm.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment